Dirks TRIO Achievement Award
The Oregon TRIO Association (OTA) is currently accepting nominations of outstanding TRIO students for the OTA Scholastic Achievement Awards. Please carefully read the information noted here as the application eligibility process will be strictly followed. Each program with current OTA membership may nominate and submit two applications for this competition. Based on the selection criteria for the 2020 competition, 5 students (one from each district) will be selected by the committee to receive an award of $750 each.
Phillip Dirks began working for TRIO programs in Student Support Services at Portland State University in 1989. In 1996, he became director of both pre-college TRIO projects at PSU. Phillip served on the University of Washington TRIO Training team from 1998-2012 and has been on the Sonoma State TRIO Training team since 2010. He has served as President of the Northwest Association of Educational Opportunity Personnel (NAEOP) and the Oregon TRIO Association (OTA) twice. Phillip retired at the end of 2020 after many amazing years in TRIO to pursue his passions in travel photography and writing. This scholarship was named after Phillip Dirks in 2021 after over 30 years of service to first-generation and low-income students in Oregon.
DEADLINE for the 2021 Scholarships is April 30th, 2021
1. Candidates must be current or former TRIO project participants for a minimum of one year.
2. Candidates in TS and UB must be incoming college freshmen for the Fall of 2021 and EOC participants must be new or reentry in the program of postsecondary education by Fall 2021.
3. Candidates should exhibit qualities of outstanding scholastic achievements and overcoming obstacles through participation in a TRIO program.
4. Candidates must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above from the most recent educational institution attended.
5. Candidates may only be nominated by staff and/or directors of current OTA programs with paid OTA memberships.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
1. The student must complete the application at the bottom of this page.
2. A one-page application essay by the student addressing the following:
a. How participation in a TRIO project has impacted your educational goals.
b. Barriers to educational success or obstacles you have overcome.
3. A signed letter of recommendation/support from the nominating TRIO staff member addressing how participation in a TRIO program has impacted the student’s educational goals and success.
4. Student’s most current academic transcript (does not have to be official).
1. Only two nominations from each TRIO program will be accepted.
2. All application materials must be received via email by .
3. THE DEADLINE CANNOT BE EXTENDED AND ONLY COMPLETED NOMINATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
4. Candidates may only be nominated by staff and directors of current OTA programs with paid Oregon TRIO memberships.
If you have any questions please contact