OTA International Summer Abroad Scholarship
The Oregon TRIO Association is partnering with CIEE to offer a full-tuition and airfare scholarship award for up to ten pre-college TRIO students in Oregon. Students will travel as a cohort to Cape Town, South Africa for a 3-week abroad program titled: Leadership Through Mandela’s Example. To view more specific details about the program, please review the CIEE website here.
When: July 10, 2022 – July 30, 2022
- Explore how leadership skills intersect with identity, power, privilege, and opportunity through learning about the life of Nelson Mandela and the history of apartheid.
- Meaningful service projects with local, marginalized communities
- Learn basic Afrikaans and isiXhosa language skills
- Group size 20-30 students from across the US
- No visa required for US citizens
- Youth hostel or dorm-style accommodations
- Spend first few days in Johannesburg, then Cape Town
- Samples activities: Table Mountain (one of the Seven Natural Wonders), Apartheid Museum, Robben Island, rugby with local peers
- High level of physical activity, some hiking involved. Average of 12,000 – 24,000 steps per day!
- Winter in Cape Town. Temperatures average 52-68 Fahrenheit. Central heat is not common, pack layers!
- Vegan, Halal & Kosher diets are challenging to accommodate, but possible. May find they’re often provided vegetarian options.
Who Can Apply
OTA is considering all students, regardless of GPA, for this opportunity. Students must currently be a member of a pre-college TRIO program within Oregon and be able to attend if selected during the dates indicated above.
Note: We encourage students to check with their TRIO advisor before starting the process to ensure that they are a good candidate for this opportunity and have the program’s support.
How to Apply
- 1. Complete the Global Navigator Scholarships Application through CIEE
- There is a $25 application fee during this process. Leave the application fee task in your account incomplete. Once you complete step 2 below OTA will work with CIEE to waive that fee for your application to be completed.
- 2. Complete the OTA Summer Abroad Scholarship (Attach the TRIO Checklist)
- 3. Summer Abroad TRIO Checklist (Completed by TRIO Advisor – attach to application on #2)