Oregon TRIO Association Fellowship
2021 OTA Fellow – Jeanette Chen
Hi everyone! My name is Jean Chen and I have been given the honorable opportunity to be an OTA Fellowship recipient this year and serve as the OTA Alumni Representative in the upcoming year.
I am a first-generation college student majoring in Human Development and Family Sciences with an option in Human Services. I am in my third year of college at Oregon State University (OSU), and I cannot imagine being here without the support network and services of TRiO.
My parents immigrated from a small Chinese village in Guangzhou to Portland, Oregon because they had very little opportunity to receive an education. They came to America with the little money they had, and they struggled to put food on the table – often sacrificing their own sustenance for my sister and I’s sake.
With that being said, I grew up in a low-income family and I knew that attending college was not a choice; it was a necessity and a must to mobilize our family out of the poverty that has been a theme for many generations. The only problem was being able to pay for college.
Luckily, during my sophomore year of high school, I joined Portland State University’s Upward Bound. My academic advisors helped me realize my true potentials by guiding me through the frameworks of applying to scholarships, colleges, internships, and so much more. Since then, I have learned what Adrienne Rich meant by “claiming an education” rather than “receiving” one.
TRiO gave me the chance to apply for the Dell Scholars Scholarship, and I have had the opportune chance to attend OSU with a full ride, thanks to the program’s support. I am boundlessly grateful for TRiO as its effect on me (and many others just like me) will reverberate throughout my life – positively affecting my passions, mindset, and career forever.
Standard Guidelines for OTA Fellowship
- Must be a current member of OTA & NAEOP
- The nominator must have the support of Project Director
- Must be a current TRIO student or alum of a TRIO project in Oregon
- Must be a registered Oregon voter
- Preferably not a permanent staff member of a TRIO project
- Must demonstrate personal achievement as a direct result of participation in TRIO program
- Must be able to attend Policy Seminar, OTA spring conference, and serve as the Alumni Representative on the OTA Board of Directors. OTA Fellow is also encouraged to attend the annual SLC as scheduled
- The term of the OTA Fellow will be the fiscal year in which the candidate is selected.
OTA Fellowship Incentives
- The OTA Fellow will have all travel accommodations provided to the annual Policy Seminar as stated on the OTA annual budget.
- The OTA fellow will have all travel accommodations provided to attend the annual PDC spring conference to attend the President’s banquet.
- The OTA Fellow will receive a $1,000 award upon completion of their year of service to the Board of Directors
- Complete the COE Policy Seminar Application located on NAEOP’s website. Deadline for submission is December 31, 2020: https://naeoptrio.org/policy-seminar
- Upon completion, OTA will email the applicant a Google form with supplemental questions. The deadline for submission is January 15, 2021.
- Finalists will be contacted for a phone interview with the OTA selection committee in late January.
- The selected candidate will begin their term as OTA fellow in February 2021.
Launch Video for OTA Fellowship